04 March 2010

First off, I'd like to mention that I'm working on making this my new photography/etc blog. I'm working on a new layout for it as well as putting together some more cohesive posts, so for now it's going to seem a little random and maybe a little scatterbrained, but it's all a process. All posts here (samanthasaturday.blogspot.com) before 2010 have been moved over from my old blog.

. . .

Tonight I was reading some quotes by photographers and came across this one by Garry Winogrand:

"I don't have anything to say in any picture. My only interest in photography is to see what something looks like as a photograph. I have no preconceptions."


(from a walk around midtown Sacramento during Second Saturday Art Walk)

For the most part, this sums up how I feel about my own personal photography. Often I photograph something just because I like how it looks. My mind/memory are driven by textures and bits and pieces of moments. When I photograph something I am usually not thinking about meaning or symbols or anything like that. Instead I typically photograph something and forget about it for days or weeks until I rediscover it on my SD card.

My Senior portfolio was made up of images that trigger conversations and feelings in my memory. Since I was little I've always been distracted easily, but I've come to realize that this is just my way of taking in the world. When I recall some of the most powerful memories in my mind they consist of little bits that I piece back together. A remembered conversation does not just consist of words, but it can also consist of images such as branches being reflected in a raindrop, condensation running down a glass, an intriguing shadow, a nervous tic.

The photograph above is the newest that I've added to this series. Below are images from my original portfolio.




No comments:

Post a Comment